Wednesday, July 23, 2014

All We Needed Was Sand

Compared to my Roaring 1920s party, for my 33rd birthday, this year was very last minute. With Tokyo coming up (have I mentioned we are going?), I wasn't planning on spending extra funds on a party. But, as the date crept closer I felt we should put together something small. A little more than week before my birthday I decided to have a Retro Beach themed birthday party. To be honest I was "phoning" this year's party in by choosing an easy theme. One might say I did the same last year with a 1920s theme, but with that party I mimicked a specific scene from The Great Gatsby film. This year I went ahead and raided the tiki/beach sections for decorations. I think the decor, along with the retro music, conveyed a happy atmosphere. 



I was taking a few test shots with the camera. I didn't want to wash all the photos out with a flash, so I had Rey and Brandi sit for a few silly poses. Work it you two!


Rey and Brandi look great here, but maybe I should've repositioned her straw? Meanwhile, in the background, I don't think that tiki idol was enjoying her photo being taken. Fashionably speaking, Rey looks like a greaser from the 50s while Brandi has that Biker's chick look. We all loved her hair!

Soon after we had the music going. The playlist was simple, full of Annette Funnicello, The Ventures (surf guitar), and The Beach Boys. The loop only lasted about 2 hours, but we just kept repeating it. Sure the music was a little on the corny side, but it was upbeat. 


As we shopped around the stores, Eric was very determined to grab some cocktail umbrellas. I'm sure glad he did because they added that extra touch to the cupcakes and the drinks. The cupcakes were store bought, but now they blended in with their surroundings. As my UK pals Mikey and Jonny would quote me saying, "It's in the details!"


Whether she cared for it, or not, Daphne got in on the beach action. Eric and I thought she looked great in her outfit. We aren't those "dress up your dog" type people, but this definitely called for an exception. 


Soon guests arrived and they were either mingling, or apparently on their iPhones ;-)
I can see here that Rey was about to enjoy more of his Fruit Punch/Coconut Rum concoction. 


Our gal pal Kelly joined us from Newport Beach in what I think was reminiscint of the 1960s character Gidget. I don't know if that was her direct intention, but she sure did a nice job!


The rest of us guys took the easy way out. Beach attire for that era is as easy as a camp shirt and the shortest swim wear you can find. However; Eric did personify a fashionista/trend setter of the early 1960s. All that was needed here was was a nice bonfire, but of course that would've taken down the place. 


We should've had a prize for who travelled the farthest. First we have Ricky and Greg that drove down from the Hollywood area. Then there was Jeff and Lance (pictured directly above) that joined us from Riverside! But, I think the invisible trophy goes to Angie (below w/red headband). She drove down from San Luis Obispo! I can't take all the credit. Angie was also on her way home to San Diego county. No matter from where they drove, I was very lucky to have our group come together to celebrate.



As with any gathering we have, this couldn't have happened with Eric! Who knows, maybe from now on Eric will be the bar keep. He was having a fun time mixing up some drinks for our guests. He kept that blender spinning! I thought he was going to try to chop up our fake pineapples for garnish! 


See below.....What did I tell you all? There's Eric making another drink for Ricky! And that reminds me of something. Everyone came with either a snack or alcohol to contribute. It really does say something about the friends we invited. I didn't ask them to bring anything, only themselves. Sure we did have a few ask what they could help with, and we welcomed that help. Others surprised us with items. I was even given some fabulous and again unexpected gifts. My point is that we had some great people over that night, special people. I hope they know I'm grateful for all of them and I look forward to more times together. 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

#details!!! Looks great, I can see why people still talk about your Halloween party (was that the one?!) now! Daphne looks adorable of course, totally working the outfit. Happy Birthday! 🌴